Have you or a loved one been involved in an Atlanta car accident with an Uber driver? When it comes to seeking recovery for your injuries, Uber accidents are treated differently than a regular car accident in Atlanta.
Uber Insurance Requirements in Atlanta
Uber drivers use their own vehicles and are considered independent contractors and not employees of Uber so they differ from taxis and other motor carriers in the business of transporting people from one place to another.
However, there are rules Atlanta Uber drivers are required to follow according to Uber’s terms and services. When it comes to insurance, Uber drivers are not working under the umbrella of the Uber company and are required to have their own motor vehicle insurance policy.
One of the main problems is that many Atlanta personal car insurance policies don’t cover their drivers when they are working as a car for hire. This may result in an Uber driver’s personal car insurance policy not covering your damages even if the Atlanta Uber driver was at fault.
In order to cover any gaps in coverage, Uber has a business auto coverage for their drivers. This policy may cover property damage as well as serious injuries and deaths for you and/or your loved one in the event of an accident where the Atlanta Uber driver was at fault and working at the time of the accident.
Whose Insurance Applies If You Are Involved in an Accident with an Atlanta Uber Driver?
Generally, Uber’s insurance policy will only go into effect if the Atlanta Uber driver had a passenger in their vehicle at the time of the accident. In this case, you will most likely be dealing with Uber’s business auto insurance carrier and should make your claim for damages to them.
However, if the Atlanta Uber vehicle didn’t have a passenger at the time of your accident, you may be dealing with the Uber driver’s personal automobile insurance company. Keep in mind that the Atlanta Uber driver’s personal car insurance carrier may deny your claim because the Uber driver was working at the time of the accident. In this case, it may be your own personal automobile insurance policy that comes into play.
Because Uber and Lyft are relatively new, the legalities are still being figured out by Atlanta Uber Accident attorneys and the U.S. judicial system. Each case is different, so you should retain the services of an experienced Atlanta Uber accident attorney such as Lashonda Council Rogers to handle your claims and any lawsuits that may be necessary to recover any damages for your Atlanta Uber accident.
Steps to Take If You Are in an Atlanta Uber Accident
If you or a loved one is involved in an Atlanta Uber accident, and the Uber driver was at fault, there are certain things you should do to prove Uber’s liability. You should:
- Call the Police: Call 911 immediately and notify them of the accident. Also, notify them if people who were involved in the accident need medical attention.
- Take Pictures: Use the camera on your cellphone to take as many pictures as possible of the accident scene. Take close-ups of any damage and injuries. Try to step away so you can get all the vehicles involved in the Atlanta Uber accident in the same frame.
- Talk to Witnesses: Speak to any witnesses to your Atlanta Uber accident. Be sure to get their names and contact information. Ask them what they saw and write it down if possible.
- Get the Uber Driver’s Information: Obtain the first and last name of the Uber driver as well as his/her contact information. Ask them for the Uber insurance phone number, their personal automobile insurance carrier’s name and phone number, and the policy number of their personal automobile insurance company.
- Call Your Atlanta Car Insurance Company: Once you’ve finished doing all the steps listed above, contact your personal Atlanta car insurance company informing them of the accident. Don’t volunteer any information that isn’t relevant and refuse to give a recorded statement until you speak with your Atlanta Uber accident attorney.
- Get an Atlanta Uber Accident Lawyer: In many cases, you may need to retain the services of an experienced Atlanta Uber accident attorney such as Lashonda Council Rogers. This is necessary because it’s highly likely that Uber’s personal automobile insurance company or Uber’s insurance company will either dispute or deny your claim outright.
An accident with an Atlanta Uber driver can become complicated, but if you follow the above steps and consult with an experienced Atlanta Uber accident attorney, you and/or your loved ones will have a better chance of receiving the all the compensation you deserve.