If you’re a driver for Uber and are involved in an accident, it isn’t like a car accident while driving your car for personal use or if you’re driving for another ridesharing company such as Lyft.
In a normal car accident, the at-fault party is generally liable for any medical bills, property damage, etc. However, if you drive for Uber you may have a passenger to worry about, and you must know Uber’s terms and conditions.
Steps to Take in an Atlanta Car Accident If You’re Driving for Uber
As with any Atlanta car accident, there are certain steps you should take immediately following a car accident if you’re driving for Uber.
- Be Calm: The Atlanta Uber car accident attorneys at Council & Associates such as Lashonda Council Rogers understand being involved in an Atlanta car accident can be stressful, but it’s important that you stay calm. Don’t blame the other driver, and don’t argue with anyone.
- Call 911: After you’ve checked to see if your passenger or any other people involved in the Atlanta Uber accident are injured, call 911 and report the accident. Also, let them know if any emergency medical personnel are needed.
- Take Pictures: Take pictures of any damage to your car and any other vehicles involved in the Atlanta Uber accident. Don’t forget to take pictures of the license plates of the other vehicles involved as well.
- Talk to Witnesses: You will want to get the names and contact information of anyone who witnessed the Atlanta Uber car accident. Ask them what they saw and write it down.
- Call Uber’s Emergency Hotline: The telephone number for Uber’s emergency hotline is 1-800-353-8237. You may want to save this telephone number to your cellphone so you’ll have it just in case. If the number isn’t working, you should send an email to Uber at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Contact Your Insurance Company: Call your personal Atlanta car insurance company to inform them of the accident. Don’t give any information you don’t have to and keep your answers short. Also, don’t give a recorded statement to anyone. Remember, anything you say could be used against you in the future.
- Write Down What Happened: As soon as possible after your Atlanta Uber car accident, write down what happened. As time passes you may forget certain details, so it’s important to record all information while it’s still fresh in your mind.
Who Do You Contact First After Your Atlanta Uber Car Accident?
If you are involved in an Uber accident, who you would contact first depends entirely on which “Period” you were in at the time the Atlanta Uber accident occurred.
While you may want to contact Uber first, it’s important to note that if you do, Uber may deactivate you as a driver, and it could be weeks before you can drive for Uber again.
The different “periods” is vital as to who you would contact first after an Atlanta Uber car accident.
- Online Waiting for a Ride Request: If you were marked as being online in the Uber Partner app but were waiting for a ride request, your coverage from Uber will depend upon your personal Atlanta car insurance coverage. Contact your personal car insurance company first, and then contact Uber.
- Not in Online Mode: If you were marked offline in the Uber Partner app, contact your personal Atlanta car insurance company. Uber’s insurance will not apply if you didn’t have the Uber Partner app turned on and were in driver mode. Whatever you do, don’t lie and say you were online. The Uber Partner app is tracked by GPS so the time of day and other data can obtain from their app. If you lie in an attempt to have Uber’s insurance cover the claim, this is considered fraud and you may go to jail.
- Online with a Passenger or En Route to Pick up a Passenger: In this instance, you would contact Uber first and then your personal Atlanta car insurance company.
Important Items to Be Aware of If You Drive for Uber
There are a few things you should know when you drive for Uber in Atlanta or elsewhere.
- Can You Afford the Deductible? The rideshare insurance company for Uber is James River. You and your passengers could be contacted by them to give them details about your Atlanta Uber car accident. If you are not contacted by James River, it could mean that the damage was so minor that it wouldn’t reach the $1,000.00 deductible Uber has.
- Your Cellphone is Your Most Valuable Tool: Your cellphone can be extremely useful after your Atlanta Uber car accident. You can use it to take pictures, record video, record audio, and to take notes with. All of this will be useful information when Uber’s insurance company contacts you, and valuable information your Atlanta Uber car accident attorney can use if necessary.
- Do You Have GAP Insurance? Because there are a lot of accidents Uber will not cover, it’s vital that your personal car insurance has GAP coverage.
Being Deactivated by Uber
After your Atlanta Uber car accident, Uber will deactivate you as a driver until they investigate whether you were at fault in the accident. They will also want to investigate the damage to your vehicle to see if it will stop you from driving.
While the Atlanta Uber car accident is under investigation, which could take a few weeks, you will not be able to pick up any passengers. Additionally, if your car suffered damage, you won’t be able to drive for Uber until that damage is repaired. You will also have to endure another Uber vehicle inspection.
Why You Need an Atlanta Uber Accident Attorney
Hiring the right Atlanta Uber car accident attorney can have a huge impact on proving your case and going against major insurance companies. Personal injury law in Atlanta and all of Georgia can be confusing and complex. Your odds of recovering economic damages could increase by hiring a skilled and experienced Atlanta Uber attorney like Lashonda Council Rogers.
If you’ve been involved in an accident while a driver in an Uber car accident, you should seek the advice of a qualified Atlanta personal injury attorney. Atlanta, Georgia personal injury attorney, Lashonda Council Rogers advises that, by hiring an Atlanta car accident lawyer to handle your claim against Uber, you can rest assured that they will fight to get you all the monetary compensation you deserve so you can concentrate on healing from your injuries.
Atlanta Uber car accident attorney, Lashonda Council Rogers and the team at Council & Associates, can offer you years of experience, skill, and compassion. They have the ability to take your claim to the next level and will be there to protect you throughout all aspects of your Atlanta Uber car accident case.
At the Atlanta law firm of Council & Associates, we sincerely hope you never have to ask yourself, “What do I do in an Atlanta car accident while driving for Uber?” The most important thing you can do is be prepared.